Search This Blog

Saturday, October 25, 2008

A book jacket that breathes



It's funny, but you never think much about breathing. Until it's all you think about ...


Amber Thody has responded to Hugh Price's comment that blue and green are too cool and bland for selling book covers by pointing us to the latest book by twice-shortlisted-for-the-Booker Tim Winton of Western Australia.

Tim Winton, I find, writes about the sea, and the impact of the ocean on the human psyche, so it is only logical that the book jacket for Breath should be blue.

And wow, which jacket did Amber mean?
The one with the wave, farthest left, is the London edition. The lower middle one comes from Melbourne, while the one on the right comes from New York.
And I can't make up my mind which one I like best.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting book jackets for Tim Winton's Breath. In a hurry I would have been attracted to the London edition - cool seductive wave. But on further look I'd have gone for the Melbourne cover with its mysterious drowning torso. I wonder which version we will get in New Zealand?