Search This Blog

Friday, February 20, 2015

Review of THE TORRID ZONE



This is a much belated review, because it involved a leap into a series, midway.

I am a huge fan of Bond's stand-alone, TURN A BLIND EYE (and just wait for my review of his next stand-alone, THE GUINEA BOAT), so I was prepared to enjoy this book, which I did. 

The characters were unfamiliar to me, and took some getting used to, but that is the hazard of jumping into a series midway. And I particularly liked the atmospheric descriptions of St Helena, which were historically accurate, as well as evocative.  Altogether it was a fun read, and a stirring one, too.  There were parts that had me on the edge of my seat.

I can certainly see why Bond's Fighting Sail series is so successful. Note to self: make it a priority to read more.

No comments: