Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Political posting, fake news and lockdown log


It is a real education watching the political situation on the northeast side of the Pacific.  My last posting was about those with deep pockets who have been chartering luxury yachts in the UK, to sail off to exotic destinations without touching port.  And ...

To my astonishment, the far-right site, Breitbart News, has turned that bit of gossip around in order to attack the Democrats.  Shock, horror, a Democrat supporter, David Geffen is one of those heading to sea in comfort, to avoid the virus.

"Billionaire Hollywood mogul and Democrat donor David Geffen notified the world that he is avoiding the coronavirus pandemic by hunkering down aboard his private yacht, Rising Sun, which is sailing somewhere off the coast of the Grenadines in the Caribbean," it announces in a breathless headline.

Presumably, this is not fake news -- not on the level of the lions in Moscow "breaking news" above, which I shamelessly pinched off the website of my favorite mini-emporium for wonderful clothes, Darling of Featherston Street.  It is, however, even more shameless than my theft, being politically blatant.  Undoubtedly, if I searched hard enough, I could find Republican donors, supporters of Boris, and voters of Labour who have headed for sea, but honestly, why should I bother?




After all, I should be doing housework.  It is day six of the big Kiwi Lockdown, and we are all urged to follow a routine.  Mine is to clean door handles, remotes, telephones and elevator buttons, along with all the usual things.  That is, if I recover from looking at my breakfast.  Many of my friends have announced that they are cleaning out bits of the house and garden while they are confined to quarters.  My mission is to clean out my deep freezer, and eat what I find.

In the past, when Ron and I were heading off to sea, I simply threw everything that was in the refrigerator into the freezer.  There are some very strange things in there -- bananas, for a start.  There was also a litre of milk, which I thawed and turned into a rice pudding.  I added soaked prunes to that, and tackle it every morning.  And, no matter how much I nibble, it only seems to get bigger.

We also had a wonderful bonus.  One of the apartments in our building belongs to a hotel manager, and boxes and crates arrived in our foyer, with lovely contents for all to use, being part of the clean out of the hotel refrigerators.  Mushrooms, eggs, and large containers of juices.  So we are not lacking in vitamin C, not yet, and there is protein aplenty.  I do wonder when I will get tired of mushroom omelettes, but they still taste delicious, and, meantime, there is the freezer to explore.

And last night I was rewarded by another bonus: right at the bottom, I found a tub of icecream!



No comments: