Search This Blog

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Mantel wins again

Hilary Mantel won the Costa Book of the Year Prize Tuesday afternoon for BRING UP THE BODIES, making her the first author to win the Booker and Costa for the same book.

Judging chair Jenni Murray said the unanimous decision took "less than an hour", telling the Guardian: "One book simply stood head and shoulders, more than head and shoulders … on stilts, above the rest. We had a really good discussion, like being at a high-powered book club, and I said, 'OK, let's have a vote on Bring up the Bodies' and every hand went up."

Accepting the prize, Mantel addressed recent pieces that she should apologize for winning so many awards: "I'm not going to apologize, I'm going to say thank you, particularly to the judges for not letting anyone tell them how to do their job...and I will make it my business to write more books that will be worth prizes."

From Publishers Lunch

No comments: