Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Swallow first, then maybe Amazons

A famous little ship sails the Lake District once more

A childhood favorite was Arthur Ransome's Swallows and Amazons, and all the wonderful books that followed in its wake.  Indeed, the fandom has spanned three generations -- our sons loved the series, and now grandsons eagerly collect the books.

So it was heartwarming to read on the Guardian blog that an authentic facsimile of the sailing dingy that gave its name to the first book has put into Wild Cat island.  As Guest Blogger Eileen Jones pondered: Can the Amazon be far behind?

A cluster of Arthur Ransome fans picnicking on Coniston's Peel Island had a big surprise when the writer's famous literary creation Swallow sailed into the tiny scrap of land's 'secret harbour'.


The gaff-rigged dinghy, the actual boat used in the 1974 film version of Ransome's masterpiece for children, had sailed to the islet – known more excitingly as Wild Cat island in the book – for the first time for 38 years.

For the rest of the story, hit the link to the right.

1 comment:

Judith said...

Well spotted! What a heartwarming story. God, how I loved those books when I was a kid. I thought I was nancy Blackett. I even got my mother to knit me a red stocking cap.