Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

WWW a Winner!

Good lord, World of the Written Word has been nominated for a Liebster Award.



The surprise came courtesy of the Otago University Bookshop Blog.

The Liebster is an award that fellow bloggers nominate to each other to offer recognition and support. According to Google translate, Liebster means ‘dearest’ in German. This means that the Liebster blog award is acknowledging the dearest bloggers out there who may not have millions and trillions of followers, but still deserve recognition for all of their hard work.

But there are Rules.

Here are the Liebster Award Rules:
  1. List 11 random or interesting facts about yourself.
  2. Answer 11 questions from the blogger who nominated you.
  3. Nominate 11 bloggers who have less than 200 followers.
  4. Ask 11 new questions to the bloggers you have nominated.
  5. Notify the bloggers you have nominated that they have been awarded the Liebster Award.
  6. Thank the blogger who nominated you
So here I go. Harrumph!

Slightly interesting facts about me.
  1. I am the co-founder of a cooperative publishing venture for Indie authors of fine maritime books. It's called Old Salt Press, and is to be launched on May 15, 2013. Which is today.  But, as New Zealand is on the wrong side of the dateline, it is actually being launched tomorrow.
  2. My first book (Exotic Intruders) was written because an editor walked unannounced into my kitchen with a bottle of wine and talked me into it.
  3. My career as a writer of books about the sea began when I fell into a grave in Rarotonga.
  4. My blogging career began because Graham Beattie (Beatties Book Blog) talked me into it.
  5. My husband, Ron, is a fine maritime artist whose paintings are in collections all over the world.
  6. I love Wellington and Wellington's public transport, but I walk at least 14 kilometres a week.
  7. After years of writing for American publishers, I punctuate the way Americans do, and can't get out of the habit.
  8. And unless I am very careful I spell the way they do, too.
  9. My favourite beer is Leffe Brun, and the best place to drink it is Leuven in Wellington (and they are not paying me for this).
  10. And if I was going to be executed tomorrow for my last meal on earth I would ask for poached eggs on toast.
  11. I always write my best sentence of the day just as the potatoes are boiling over.
Questions from my nominator.
  1. What do you like best/least about blogging?  Most of the time, it is fun. I love passing on gossip and jokes and interesting tidbits about writers and writing.  I get a little frustrated that it is supposed to be about the written word, but what the hell, if I am writing about a film or a painting or an auction, it's all in written words, isn't it?
  2. Which book do you remember as important in seducing you into reading & bookish things, and how old were you? Snugglepot and Cuddlepie, and I was probably about four.
  3. What was the last thing you read, watched, and listened to? Charity Norman's "Second Chances," which is brilliant and powerful and set in Hawkes Bay; Iron Sky, which is a hoot of a Finnish film where the Nazis try to take over earth from their base on the Dark Side of the Moon to the accompaniment of Wagner, and Sarah Palin is the president of the US; Jacques Loussier.
  4. What is something you would never do again? Eat crayfish. It tasted divine, but it nearly killed me.
  5. Is there a book that everyone seems to love but it just didn’t work for you? Captains Courageous.
  6. Do you grow any of your own vegetables? Silverbeet in tubs on the deck.
  7. Are you a yellow person or a purple person? Definitely purple.
  8. What book(s) would you recommend be on a “Before You Die…” list? Anything published by Old Salt Press.
  9. Do you prefer spring or winter? Depends on the weather.
  10. Ebooks or hard copies? Print for research and looking up things, ebooks for travel.
  11. What is one thing your author blurb/bio would say (that it doesn’t already, for those who have them)? That I fell into a grave in Rarotonga. 
Eleven blogs that I nominate for the Liebster

Joan Curry's Words and Pictures.
Black Horse Westerns.
Rick Spilman's Old Salt Blog
Shayne Parkinson's Notes from New Zealand
Sarah Gaitanos
Katie's Book Blog
National Library Blog
Signposts
NZ Book Council blog
Booksellers NZ blog
And Beattie's Book Blog because though he has hundreds of followers I'd like to see the answers to the following ...


My eleven questions

  1. Who is in charge of blogging in your house or your organization?
  2. What was the trigger for the blog?
  3. What is your current rave?
  4. What is your current rant?
  5. Is blogging destroying newspaper book reviewing?
  6. What was the first book you read?
  7. What was the last book you read?
  8. How do you celebrate Saturdays?
  9. How do you keep your blog going when you are on vacation?
  10. What is your favourite city in the world?
  11. What would you like to be doing exactly one year from today?
AND THANK YOU TO BRONWYN OF THE OTAGO UNIVERSITY BOOK SHOP




4 comments:

Judith said...

Congratulations, and well-deserved!

Joan Druett said...

Thank you! It was fun. Why not start a blog yourself?

Joan Curry said...

Yes, congratulations indeed! And an all-of-a-quiver thank you for nominating my blog. In such august company ... words fail me.

Joan Druett said...

Note you were top of the list! I look forward to your answers!